green card for my brother

Green Card for My Brother or Sister

As a United States citizen, you can sponsor your brothers and sisters to become  lawful permanent residents  of the United States by obtaining what is often referred to as a “green card.”

Sponsoring your siblings for green cards will benefit your family by:

  • Reuniting your loved ones
  • Giving your brothers and sisters the opportunity to live, work and travel in the U.S.
  • Allowing your siblings to bring their spouses and children to the U.S.

How can I get a green card for my brother (or sister)?

In order to get a green card for your brother (or sister) you must be a United States citizen and at least 21 years old.  Permanent residents must become U.S. citizens before they can sponsor their siblings. You must also live in the U.S. or have evidence that you will relocate permanently to the United States at the same time your sibling is admitted.

green card for sisterHow long will it take for my brother or sister to get a green card?

It takes a very long time for brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens to receive green cards.  Most cases take at least 10 years.  If your brother is from China, India, Mexico or the Philippines, it may take many more years.



Why will it take so long for my brothers and sisters to get green cards?

Only 65,000 visas may be issued to brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens per year.  Because of the numerical cap, there are extremely long waiting periods to obtain a visa in this family immigration category.

Your brother or sister’s place in line will be based on the date your petition is filed. Each year, the number of applicants far exceeds the amount of visas available.  Because of this, a large backlog has occurred.

Visas are processed on a “first come, first served” basis.  For that reason, it is important to start the process as soon as possible.

We Can Help

The process of getting a green card for your brother (or sister) is lengthy and complex.  We will help by:

  • Strategizing with you to determine if a green card is the best way to reunite you with your family members
  • Explaining how the process will work
  • Helping you gather the required evidence
  • Preparing your case and filing all documents
  • Tracking your case with USCIS from start to finish

Don’t delay this already lengthy process.  Contact us to schedule a consultation today.

Print Friendly