Fiance Visa (K-1 Visa)

It’s done!

The proposal was perfect, the ring accepted and now you’re ready to begin your new life together…..

There is nothing more exciting than planning for your wedding day! This should be one of the most joyous times in your life and something that you look back on fondly.

Fiance VisaBut if you’re an international couple with a non-citizen fiance, then your big day could be hindered due to the complications of securing a fiance visa (also known as a K-1 visa).  Just thinking about the prospect of it may put a dark cloud over your otherwise euphoric mood because complicated paperwork and legalese is probably the last thing you want to be dealing with right now.

How Do I Get a Fiance Visa?

To get a fiance visa, you must first file a petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  If USCIS approves the petition, they will send it to the National Visa Center, which will process and forward it to the U.S. Embassy or consulate nearest your fiancé’s foreign place of residence.  The embassy or consulate will then invite him or her to apply for the actual K-1 fiancé visa.

How Long Does the Fiance Visa Process Take?

The length of time for the fiance visa process varies from case to case, but the average fiance visa will take from 6 to 12 months.   Once your fiancé arrives in the U.S. , you have 90 days to marry.  As soon as you marry, your spouse may apply for permanent residence through the adjustment of status process.  If you do not marry, your fiance must return home.

How a  K1 Visa Lawyer Can Help

For starters, I get it.

I know exactly what you’re going through because I once had a fiance overseas myself. Although his visa was granted, his home country of Iraq needed him and our plans to bring him to the United States never came to be….

But my story does not have to be yours.

Many fiance visa cases are delayed – or denied – simply because the applicants fail to include necessary information and documentation. These are costly mistakes, but they can easily be avoided, solely by asking for help.

To get started on your journey, please request your free copy of “Happily Ever After, A Guide to Securing Your Fiance Visa”:

K-1 Visa

I’m a passionate and experienced K1 visa lawyer, practicing immigration law in all 50 states. I offer in office, telephone and Skype consultations for U.S. citizens engaged to foreign fiancés.

Together, we’ll bring your fiancé home and get you started on your happily ever after…….


Print Friendly