Our clients often ask us what happens after a Fiance Visa Petition is approved. Navigating the petition and visa application process can be confusing and overwhelming. So, below we have put together a short guide to help you understand the process and how we will work with you to make sure you and your fiancé can be together.
Once the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services approves your fiancé visa petition, the petition is sent to the National Visa Center. This process usually takes at least 30 days. The National Visa Center will then send the petition to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that will process your fiance’s visa. After the Embassy receives your fiancé’s case for processing, she will receive a letter or email informing her that her case is ready for consular processing. As part of the processing, your fiancé will be sent a K-1 visa application package with very specific instructions, including:
- The time and date of her visa interview;
- The location to perform the required medical exam;
- Requests for addition information, such as photographs and other proof of your relationship; and
- Demands for other documents, such as birth certificate or passport.
It is important to understand that each Embassy has a unique process for issuing visas. For example, as part of this process, some Embassies may require you to submit extensive documentation before your fiancé is scheduled for an interview, while others may have long waiting periods for an interview date.
We will work with you to make this process as smooth and quick as possible. This includes:
- Giving you a checklist of all required documents after your petition is filed so you will have time to gather everything before your case is sent to the Embassy;
- Preparing draft consular processing documents while your case is being transferred to the NVC;
- Filing your consular processing documents electronically if your fiance’s Embassy offers electronic processing;
- Scheduling a Skype appointment with your fiancé to prepare her for her interview;
- Making sure your fiancé has all of the documents needed for her interview; and
- Scheduling your fiance’s interview online (at Embassies that participate in online scheduling).
Questions about the fiance visa process and whether it is right for you and your fiance? Download our free Fiance Visa Guide. When you claim your free E-Book you will get instant access to our Fiance Visa E-Course. We will guide you through the immigration process one step at a time.